by Jim O’Rourke & Julie Cross –
Police and council rangers are bracing themselves for surging crowds at a park popular for public drinking over the long weekend.
It follows last weekend which saw more than 1300 gather at East Esplanade to drink and socialise, just weeks after a COVID lockdown ruined Christmas and New Year for thousands of peninsula residents, as well as leaving businesses fearful for their future.
Cr Pat Daley fears this weekend will be a nightmare for police and the situation is a disaster waiting to happen during a pandemic.
“It’s going to be the perfect storm leading into Australia Day with mega hot weather over the duration of the weekend,” he said.
He said people will be allowed to drink at East Esplanade — known as ‘The Office’ — over Saturday, Sunday and Monday, but as per police request it will be an alcohol-free zone on Australia Day, like all reserves on the peninsula.
However, he said the rules are confusing for people.
“Law enforcement in Manly has now become a nightmare as a result of poor council policy,” Cr Daley said.
“We are sending out mixed messages.
“As I predicted the whole drinking thing is spreading right across the whole of the Manly precinct. It is out of control.
“People think they can drink anywhere and at anytime in Manly now.”
He said he expected hundreds if not thousands of people to descend on Manly over the weekend to drink in parks and reserves as it’s cheap and there are no constraints as in a pub environment.
Unlike pubs and restaurants there is no COVID record of who is attending these spots and he said it’s a track and trace nightmare waiting to happen.
A startling photo emerged earlier this week showing people crammed into East Esplanade Reserve at Manly while socialising last Saturday.
Officials later counted about 1300 revellers in the popular park on Saturday night. It’s designated COVID-safe number is 800 people.
Eleven police officers, and a police dog, were called in to close the park at 8pm — the time a booze ban for the reserve kicks in.
The photo taken on East Esplanade on Saturday was sent to Cr Daley who told the Manly Daily that ratepayers were becoming frustrated that people were ignoring alcohol free zones around Manly, and elsewhere, and not keeping socially distant to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Deputy Mayor Candy Bingham confirmed to the Manly Daily that council rangers had counted 1300 people in the park on Saturday night.
“It was very clear that the numbers in the park exceeded the COVID-safe number of 800,” Cr Bingham said.
“Police were called at 8pm and it took about 90 minutes to clear the area of all people. They were all told to pack up and go home.”
Cr Bingham pointed out that on recent previous weekend night rangers had only counted between 650 to 700 people on East Esplanade.
“Many of those are family groups, celebrating birthdays and having baby showers. About 90 per cent of people in Manly live in apartments and are using the parks for social occasions because up to 30 people are allowed to gather, rather than just five in people’s homes.”
But Cr Daley said the council, by allowing large groups, drinking large quantities of alcohol after 8pm on East Esplanade, was setting the standard for Manly.
“Why are alcohol free zones not being enforced?
“In many cases social distancing is also being ignored.”
The council has declared that on Australia Day all beaches, sand areas and attached reserves are Alcohol Free Zones from 6am on January 26 to 6am on January 27.
Council CEO Ray Brownlee said that poor behaviour at East Esplanade Reserve would not be tolerated.
“Rangers work closely with NSW Police to ensure the law is followed,” Mr Brownlee said.
Council and the Police will be meeting in the coming days to work on a joint action plan to manage drinking in alcohol-free zones at reserves and beaches on Australia Day.
“We ask everyone, this Australia Day, to please observe the NSW Health Orders including social distancing, and to respect other people around them.”